3D Data Import to CAD using FME
Feb 2013 – Oct 2013
GIS4BUSINESS developed an automated import process using FME to load 3D point data representing various monitoring equipment, in use on a section of the Crossrail engineering project, from an excel file into a template AutoCAD DWG file.
The FME import process included the following:
- Reading source data from multiple worksheets containing X, Y and Z coordinates along with other attribution for various types of monitoring equipment
- Creation of 3D geometry features in AutoCAD format from the source records.
- Generation of text annotation from attribution in the source file.
- Separation of each equipment type into individual layers in the AutoCAD DWG file.
- Writing the output features to the relevant pre-defined blocks in the AutoCAD DWG file.
- Verification of data quality and logging of issues and errors to a log file.
Thanks to the automated FME import process developed by GIS4BUSINESS, Getec were able to request a number of runs of the import using updated source data. They were also able to streamline the production of the 3D CAD file, which would have taken a significant time to produce manually.
If you are interested in any of our products or services, contact us today and we will be happy to discuss your requirements.