Water Utility GIS Strategy
Jul 2015 – Sep 2015
GIS4BUSINESS were asked to assist Portsmouth Water with defining and documenting a long-term high-level GIS strategy that will drive future improvements, integration and exploitation of GIS within the business.
GIS4BUSINESS produced a high-level GIS strategy document, based on an initial workshop with key stakeholders, but also referring to GIS and utility industry best practice.
The strategy document covered some of the following areas:
- Data management, including data capture, data quality improvement, data security, new connections and address data management.
- Data delivery and presentation, including interactive map delivery, application integration, mobile GIS, incident management and customer engagement.
- Data analysis and reporting, including leakage analysis, water quality analysis and emergency planning.
- Business structure and resource requirements for asset data management and GIS teams.
- Technology and infrastructure, including supporting IT infrastructure and security.
The document represented a high-level view of the proposed GIS strategy over the next five years and drilled down into specific areas that Portsmouth Water had raised as being of particular importance.
“Portsmouth Water has been engaged with GIS4BUSINESS in developing our use of GIS across a number of business areas for 8 years. They have carried out regular support and have delivered bespoke developments, including an interface for a mobile works order ERP solution. The GIS4BUSINESS approach is to provide reliable, friendly advice and timely, successful GIS solutions delivered to the satisfaction of PWL.”
If you are interested in any of our products or services, contact us today and we will be happy to discuss your requirements.